• D211 Dual Credit FAQ

    1. What is Dual Credit?
      Dual credit is an instructional arrangement where an academically qualified student currently enrolled in high school enrolls in a college-level course and, upon successful course completion, earns both college credit and high school credit at the same time.  Pass/Fail is not an option as a grade for any dual credit course. 

    2. How are students eligible for enrollment?
      In order to enroll in dual credit courses through Harper College, students must meet all admission requirements that would be applied to a student enrolling for the same course at the college. We encourage student/families to consider their attendance history and grade point average as final dual credit course grades can impact financial aid.

    3. Is there support for students who receive accommodations through an IEP/504 Plan?
      Students must contact Harper College Access & Disability Services department before each term to request accommodations. 

    1. How are dual credit courses organized or offered?
      Courses are offered two ways-either on campus (at the college) or off campus (at the high schools), by qualified instructors teaching the Harper course. Students may have to provide their own transportation to courses offered off-campus depending on the course. There are times students will attend class at the college/university program when D211 is not in session (example – Institute Day). College and Career Counselors at each school have specific program requirements and can answer any questions regarding off-campus programming.

    2. What happens if students drop/withdraw from a Dual Credit Course?
      Each college/university has a Drop Period when a student can be removed from the dual credit course without any record appearing on his or her transcript. There is also a Withdraw Period in which a student may receive a W on their college transcript. Following these deadlines, a student who withdraws from the dual credit course may earn an F on their college transcript. Receiving a grade lower than a C or a W on a college transcript may impact a student's ability to receive financial aid in college. School counselors have the drop and withdrawal dates for each school year and students are responsible for knowing these dates and submitting the necessary paperwork to change their status in dual-credit courses.

    3. Can dual credit students receive financial aid?
      All dual credit courses count towards financial aid standards of academic progress (SAP) whether the student receives financial aid. Students must earn a high school diploma or GED to be eligible for financial aid. Dual Credit students should be aware that failure to successfully complete the courses in which they enroll may affect future financial aid eligibility.

    4. Is there an impact on financial aid if a student earns below a “C” in a dual credit class?                                                                                          All dual credit courses count toward financial aid standards of academic progress (SAP) whether or not a student receives financial aid. A student will start out on financial warning:

    • If a student takes one dual credit course and earns a “D” grade for GPA under 2.0. 

    • If a student takes one dual credit course and receives a “W” (withdrawal) for completion under 67% 

    • If a student takes one dual credit course and earns an “F” grade for GPA under 2.0 ANd for completion under 67%

    1. What does it cost to enroll in a dual credit course?
      Students are not responsible for the costs related to taking dual credit courses. The high school district pays the applicable course and textbook costs for dual credit courses. Some students will need to pay out of pocket for courses with health requirements.

    2. How do dual credit courses differ from Advanced Placement (AP) courses?
      Both courses are taught at the college level. However, college credit is awarded for advanced placement courses only upon completion of a single assessment test. In addition, different cut scores are required by different institutions for credit in these courses. Dual credit courses earn college credit in the same manner as any other college course – through satisfactory performance on such assessments as quizzes, tests, and homework assignments. In addition, dual credit courses are taught by qualified college faculty who hold the appropriate credentials in the subject matter. For instance, faculty teaching general education courses must hold at least a Master’s degree in the subject area. High school AP courses do not have this requirement.

    3. What are the benefits of dual credit courses?
      -Facilitates the transition between high school and college.
      -Reduces the cost of a college education.
      -Reduces the time needed to complete a degree program.
      -Prepares students for college coursework.
      -Raises student motivation and aspiration
      -Increases post-secondary enrollment.

    1. What steps do students take after high school graduation?
      If you are continuing at Harper College, you do not need to reapply. Simply call 847.925.6230 to update your status and get started. If you are attending another institution, remember to have an official Harper College transcript sent to that institution in order to request any transfer of credits.

    2. Do all dual credit courses transfer for credit to all colleges and universities?
      Current dual credit courses offered through Harper College generally fall into two broad categories: Career and Technical Education (CTE) or General Education (GE). General Education courses are usually approved for credit under the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI). Such courses are accepted for credit by all IAI participating schools, which includes all Illinois public universities and some 94 other Illinois colleges and universities. CTE courses may or may not be accepted as transfer credit. Students may create an account at www.transferology.com which is a nationwide network provided by College Source designed to help students explore their college transfer options.