The goals of the Social Studies Department in High School District 211 are:
1. To give students an understanding of our institutions and social environment so that they may adapt to rapidly changing conditions;
2. To prepare students for their opportunities and responsibilities in society by fostering an appreciation of contemporary problems through discussion of current issues and their historical background;
3. To foster attitudes of critical and impartial judgment, tolerance, and open-mindedness;
4. To develop skill in obtaining information pertinent to social issues, in organizing materials, and in communicating ideas.
5. To develop active citizens in our communities.
A major in social studies is recommended for a student who is preparing for law, government service, diplomatic service, social work, teaching of social studies, journalism, psychology, international trade, or business. United States History is a state-required course taken in the junior year. A second unit of Social Studies is required for graduation. It can be Social Science Survey, Introduction to Government/ Economics, or Advanced Placement Macroeconomics/ Advanced Placement American Government and Politics. A 20-hour community service experience is included in all regular education Social Studies senior-level courses.
Social Studies Department Office: 847-755-4826 / 847-755-4827
Social Studies Department Chairman: Aaron Phillips 847-755-4451
Social Studies Page Links