Young Hearts for Life - Free Electrocardiogram Screening
Tuesday, February 14
During Wellness Classes
- All students are eligible for this free screening.
- Screenings will take place during Wellness Classes on Tuesday, February 14.
- Parent/guardian permission is required for registration.
- Families will be notified if ECG results indicate a need for additional follow-up.
- We are looking for nearly 200 volunteers to assist with our screening event on February 14.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age (current high school students are not eligible to volunteer for the screening event).
- Shifts are available for the morning, afternoon, or full day.
- Continental breakfast items and lunch will be provided to volunteers.
- Volunteers will assist with checking in students for their appointment, helping them to the stations, assisting with the ECG process, etc.
What is Young Hearts for Life?
YH4L is a FREE heart screening called an electrocardiogram (ECG) to identify high school students at risk for Sudden Cardiac Death (SCD). More than 60 young adults die each week in the United States from SCD. Since 2006, YH4L has screened over 280,000 students and has identified more than 3,000 with previously undiagnosed heart conditions. Please be aware that repeat ECG testing is recommended every two (2) years.
A simple, painless, and non-invasive ECG can detect approximately 70% of the heart conditions that are associated with SCD, while a pre-participation physical can only detect 4% of these conditions. The false positive rate for the YH4L program is less than 2%. Additional evaluation and testing by your physician may be recommended based on the results of the screening.
Learn more about the ECG screening process: